Many people would argue that a trip to Siem Reap and Cambodia is not complete without attending a traditional Cambodian dance performance. This ancient art form and beautiful dances have played a major part in Khmer culture for more than thousand years and have seen a great revival over the last few years.
Most dance performances in Siem Reap offer a mixture of Classical and Theatrical Folk dances. A few venues offer Shadow Theater. Many of the dance performances in Siem Reap consist of 4-6 individual dances, often opening with an Apsara Dance, followed by two other Classical dances and two or three Theatrical Folk dances. The Apsara Dance is a Classical dance inspired by the apsara carvings and sculptures of Angkor and developed in the late 1940s by Queen Sisowath Kossamak.
Her grand daughter and protégé, Princess Bopha Devi, was the first star of the Apsara Dance. The central character of the dance, the apsara Mera, leads her coterie of apsaras through a flower garden where they partake of the beauty of the garden. The movements of the dance are distinctly Classical yet, as the dance was developed for theatrical presentation, it is shorter and a bit more relaxed and flowing than most Classical dances, making it both an excellent example of the movements, manner and spirit of Classical dance and at the same time particularly accessible to a modern audience unaccustomed to the style and stories of Khmer dance-drama.
- Siem Reap
Siem Reap Hotels
Siem Reap Tours
- Countryside by bike tour 1Day
- Roluos - Kbal Spean and Banteay Srei tour 1Day
- Lost Temples tour 3Days
- Jungle's Temples - Mekong Cities tour 4Days
- Khmer Odyssey Part II 7Days-6Nights
- Tonle Sap Lake Adventure 14Days-13Nights
- Sambor Prei Kuk - Homestay tour 2Days
- Angkor Wat and Banteay Srei private day tour
- Angkor By Bike 5Days - 4Nights
- Floating Villages tour 1Day
- Small Group Sunset Cruise on Tonle Sap Lake with Cambodian drinks and Canape
- 3-Day Majestic Angkor Wat, Siem Reap and Tonle Sap Lake Tour