Beng Mealea is a temple in the Angkor Wat style located 40 km east of the main group of temples at Angkor, Cambodia, on the ancient royal highway to Preah Khan Kompong Svay.
Beng Mealea is a spectacular sight to behold. It’s one of the most mysterious temples at Angkor, as nature has well and truly run riot here. Built to the same floorplan as Angkor Wat, exploring this titanic of temples is Angkor’s ultimate Indiana Jones experience. The temple has been utterly subsumed by jungle, and standing just a few metres away from the south, visitors wend their way over lies of masonry, through long dark chambers and between hanging vines to arrive at the central tower, which has completely collapsed.
Hidden away among the rubble and foliage are several impressive carvings, as well as a well preserved library in the northeastern quadrant. The temple is a special place and it is worth taking the time to explore thoroughly. There is also now a large wooden walkway to the centre, constructed during the filming here of Jean – Jacques Annaud’s Two Brothers (2004) Beng Mealea is at the center of an ancient Angkorian road connecting Angkor Thom and Preah Khan in Preah Vihear Province. A small Angkorian bridge just west of Chau Srei Vibol temple is the only remaining trace of the old Angkorian road between Beng Mealea and Angkor Thom; between Beng Mealea and Preah Khan there are at least 10 bridges abandoned in the forest. This is a way for extreme adventurers to get to Preah Khan temple; however, don’t undertake this journey lightly.
- Siem Reap
Siem Reap Hotels
Siem Reap Tours
- Full-day Small-Group Angkor Wat Tour from Siem Reap
- Jungle's Temples - Mekong Cities tour 4Days
- Tonle Sap Lake and Kampong Phluk Private Half Day tour from Siem Reap
- Angkor National Museum
- Siem Reap Airport transfers - private from airport or hotel
- Smile of Angkor Show
- Sambor Prei Kuk - Prasat Bakan tour 2Days
- Full-Day Beng Mealea Remote temple, Phnom Kulen and 1000 Linga River Tour
- Siem Reap & Phnom Penh Transfer (door to door service, Small Group)
- Angkor Wat and Banteay Srei private day tour
- Phnom Kulen National Park Ticket
- Siem Reap Airport Taxi (Airport - Hotel - Airport)