Beng Mealea is a temple in the Angkor Wat style located 40 km east of the main group of temples at Angkor, Cambodia, on the ancient royal highway to Preah Khan Kompong Svay.
Beng Mealea is a spectacular sight to behold. It’s one of the most mysterious temples at Angkor, as nature has well and truly run riot here. Built to the same floorplan as Angkor Wat, exploring this titanic of temples is Angkor’s ultimate Indiana Jones experience. The temple has been utterly subsumed by jungle, and standing just a few metres away from the south, visitors wend their way over lies of masonry, through long dark chambers and between hanging vines to arrive at the central tower, which has completely collapsed.
Hidden away among the rubble and foliage are several impressive carvings, as well as a well preserved library in the northeastern quadrant. The temple is a special place and it is worth taking the time to explore thoroughly. There is also now a large wooden walkway to the centre, constructed during the filming here of Jean – Jacques Annaud’s Two Brothers (2004) Beng Mealea is at the center of an ancient Angkorian road connecting Angkor Thom and Preah Khan in Preah Vihear Province. A small Angkorian bridge just west of Chau Srei Vibol temple is the only remaining trace of the old Angkorian road between Beng Mealea and Angkor Thom; between Beng Mealea and Preah Khan there are at least 10 bridges abandoned in the forest. This is a way for extreme adventurers to get to Preah Khan temple; however, don’t undertake this journey lightly.
- Siem Reap
Siem Reap Hotels
Siem Reap Tours
- Beng Melea and Koh Ker Temple - Group Tour
- Roluos - Kbal Spean and Banteay Srei tour 1Day
- Half-Day Kompong Phluk, Tonle Sap Lake from Siem Reap
- Siem Reap Quad Bike Tour
- Smile of Angkor Show
- Siem Reap Airport transfers - private from airport or hotel
- Siem Reap Airport Taxi (Airport - Hotel - Airport)
- Angkor Wat Excursions with Khmer Lunch and Entrance fee
- Angkor By Bike 5Days - 4Nights
- Remote temples tour 1Day
- Private transfer from Siem Reap Bus station to hotel in the city
- 4D3N-Overland to Cambodia, Angkor Wat Group Tour from Bangkok, Thailand