The bird sanctuary at the Prek Toal core area of the Tonle Sap Biosphere Reserve has been called "the single most important breeding ground in Southeast Asia for globally threatened large waterbirds." The Biosphere covers 31,282 hectares at the northwest tip of the Tonle Sap Lake and plays host to species including Greater and Lesser Adjuncts, Black-headed Ibis, Painted Stork, Milky Stork, Spot-billed Pelican, Grey-Headed Fish Eagle and many more species. Of the three Biosphere core areas on the Tonle Sap Lake, Prek Toal is the most accessible from Siem Reap and the most popular with birdwatchers. The best time of year for viewing is the dry season when flocks of migratory birds congregate at Prek Toal. As the dry season progresses and the water recedes, the number of birds increases but the travel to some of the more important viewing areas becomes more difficult.
Prek Toal is a magnificent floating village. It is from the village that we has access to Prek Toal's bird sanctuary which can be made only by boat from Siem Reap or Battambang. About 2 hours by boat to arrive at Prek Toal, and departure by any small boats with oar inside the sanctuary. Birds are few and some very big birds, such as pelicans, Big Marabouts, storks, made their nest on the big trees, according to the season.
But it is a sanctuary and not a zoo and we can not always approach the birds very near, but we can observe them very well...
A walk of one day by boat from Siem Reap with visit of the floating villages. A forest which appears from the lake, and observation of birds in boat, in the Prek Toal's bird sanctuary( with special licence for the sanctuary and the included picnic)
- Siem Reap
Siem Reap Hotels
Siem Reap Tours
- 4D3N-Overland to Cambodia, Angkor Wat Group Tour from Bangkok, Thailand
- Countryside by bike tour 1Day
- Siem Reap Cook in a Tuk Tuk (Cooking Class)
- Phnom Kulen and 1000 Lingas River - Private Day Tour from Siem Reap
- Siem Reap and Phnom Penh Highlights in 5 days from Angkor Wat
- Sambor Prei Kuk - Prasat Bakan tour 2Days
- Rosana Broadway Cabaret Show
- Floating Villages, Tonle Sap Lake and Mangrove Forest from Siem Reap
- Spirit Of Cambodia 14Days-13Nights
- Angkor Highlights tour
- The river of 1000 Lingas and the Citadel of the Women tour 1Day
- Charity Vacations 7Days-6Nights