Many people would argue that a trip to Siem Reap and Cambodia is not complete without attending a traditional Cambodian dance performance. This ancient art form and beautiful dances have played a major part in Khmer culture for more than thousand years and have seen a great revival over the last few years.
Most dance performances in Siem Reap offer a mixture of Classical and Theatrical Folk dances. A few venues offer Shadow Theater. Many of the dance performances in Siem Reap consist of 4-6 individual dances, often opening with an Apsara Dance, followed by two other Classical dances and two or three Theatrical Folk dances. The Apsara Dance is a Classical dance inspired by the apsara carvings and sculptures of Angkor and developed in the late 1940s by Queen Sisowath Kossamak.
Her grand daughter and protégé, Princess Bopha Devi, was the first star of the Apsara Dance. The central character of the dance, the apsara Mera, leads her coterie of apsaras through a flower garden where they partake of the beauty of the garden. The movements of the dance are distinctly Classical yet, as the dance was developed for theatrical presentation, it is shorter and a bit more relaxed and flowing than most Classical dances, making it both an excellent example of the movements, manner and spirit of Classical dance and at the same time particularly accessible to a modern audience unaccustomed to the style and stories of Khmer dance-drama.
- Siem Reap
Siem Reap Hotels
Siem Reap Tours
- Rosana Broadway Cabaret Show
- Nothern Cambodia Explorer 14Days-13Nights
- Countryside by bike tour 1Day
- Angkor Wat Private Full Day Tour from Siem Reap
- Daily Life in Cambodia tour 1Day
- Tonle Sap Lake - Kampong Khleang Private Day Tour with lunch from Siem Reap
- Sambor Prei Kuk - Kratie - Kompong Cham tour 3Days
- Angkor Wat Tour from Sunrise by Tuk Tuk
- Smile of Angkor Show
- The Grand Circuit Tour 1Day
- An Introduction to the Khmer culture tour 1Day
- Full-day Banteay Srei, Preah Dak, and Temples Tour from Siem Reap