Many people would argue that a trip to Siem Reap and Cambodia is not complete without attending a traditional Cambodian dance performance. This ancient art form and beautiful dances have played a major part in Khmer culture for more than thousand years and have seen a great revival over the last few years.
Most dance performances in Siem Reap offer a mixture of Classical and Theatrical Folk dances. A few venues offer Shadow Theater. Many of the dance performances in Siem Reap consist of 4-6 individual dances, often opening with an Apsara Dance, followed by two other Classical dances and two or three Theatrical Folk dances. The Apsara Dance is a Classical dance inspired by the apsara carvings and sculptures of Angkor and developed in the late 1940s by Queen Sisowath Kossamak.
Her grand daughter and protégé, Princess Bopha Devi, was the first star of the Apsara Dance. The central character of the dance, the apsara Mera, leads her coterie of apsaras through a flower garden where they partake of the beauty of the garden. The movements of the dance are distinctly Classical yet, as the dance was developed for theatrical presentation, it is shorter and a bit more relaxed and flowing than most Classical dances, making it both an excellent example of the movements, manner and spirit of Classical dance and at the same time particularly accessible to a modern audience unaccustomed to the style and stories of Khmer dance-drama.
- Siem Reap
Siem Reap Hotels
Siem Reap Tours
- Khmer Odyssey Part I 7Days-6Nights
- 2-Day Exploration of Beng Mealea, Koh Ker and Preah Vihear
- Sambor Prei Kuk - Kratie - Kompong Cham tour 3Days
- Royal Cities Explorer 7Days-6Nights
- Full-Day Beng Mealea Remote temple, Phnom Kulen and 1000 Linga River Tour
- Flight of Gibbon at Angkor Wat
- Angkor National Museum
- Angkor Wat Excursions with Khmer Lunch and Entrance fee
- Angkor Wat Private Tour in a Tuk Tuk
- Siem Reap Nightlife Tour Assistance
- Roluos and Kompong Phluk tour 1Day
- Angkor By Bike 5Days - 4Nights